Thursday, July 31, 2014

thirsty?



When I ponder how many hours I've spent trawling online stores, clicking from one item to the next, attempting to decide between colours that are so similar they are basically the same, trying to decipher what the name of a coat or pair of jeans actually means and adding copious amounts of items to my wish list that I will NEVER buy, I'm slightly terrified. I could have read the entire works of Shakespeare and written a 100,000 word thesis, stress the could have.  

This short film from New York-based writer, Katherine Bernard, pokes fun at this notion of consumerism and online shopping that is now so entwined with our lives. And the result is this wickedly humorous four minutes of brilliance aptly titled Thirsty. 

Thirsty is two women talking shop while online shopping. The hilarious conversation points not only to our online shopping addictions, but also to the absurd way fashion is labelled and sold to women, naming dresses Cameron and using terms like boyfriend denim, for instance. 

As the writer herself says:

'As a fashion writer, it's bothersome to think about the collective female mind power wasted on "What sandals should I buy?" and "What is my body type?" and I wanted to flesh out that default content - the way we describe clothes for women - and work it over with comedy.' (Via Dazed)

Despite the thought provoking points (well I'm doing some 'thoughting' over here) there are some cracker lines that really need highlighting - in bold on this blog, obviously. 

'I think every woman just needs a good sweater to, like, carry her through her day' - As satirical as this film may be, I really can't fault that. Especially if said sweater features an ironic slogan, a print from an eighties film or television show or a knitted Santa Claus - right?

'I don't like the slits though. I actually fucking hate the slits' - Ugh, right? Slits are the worst, man. Seriously though, those shirts that might be tunics but aren't dresses that have those stupid slits really are the worst. 

'Point sur slim stacker Japanese selvedge jean in klutely wash' - WTF?? 

'Tool retro hipster flare with low emissions sequins in my beautiful dark twisted fantasy floral in over confident coral blush with criss cross straps' - Somebody please do this, I'll wear it. 

And my absolute favourite line?

'The wicked logic that renders the expensive sacred' - This might be my new motto. But it explains the current fashion-o-sphere in eight words more succinctly than anything else, ever. I mean, do you really love those Chanel sneakers? Like, really?

Thirsty?

kb xx